It seems like not too long ago when even printing documents at home was a luxury. When desktop computers first became more of a common household necessity, many people saved their information onto a USB and brought it instead to a store to print for them, like Staples or Office Depot. Now, you can have a full office set-up right from home, with multiple desktops, laptops, upgraded keyboards, printers with sd card, and more. Even with so much technology and hardware at our disposal though, a lot of people will still go to bigger print shops to print artwork. On the surface, this seems reasonable. You want a printer that has the full spectrum of color that you personally rendered on your screen, so what comes out is exactly what you want. It’s often the case that when you print something in color, it still comes out looking slightly different from how you thought it would look. On a document with minimal color this might be fine, but then it comes to printing art, this would be unacceptable. Also, remember for high quality printers, you need great image quality.
There’s also the issue of the paper quality and paper size. Letter paper is thin and flimsy, and doesn’t hold much weight. When you’re applying a lot of color to something all at once, you want the paper to be thick and glossy so that it can withstand a lot of saturation without becoming wavy because of the ink. You may also want to look into fine art paper.
Luckily, there are printers out there that can do all this for you. We’ve put together our 2020 picks for the best printer for art prints below. When using these high quality printers, make sure you are using quality paper and a quality photo. Moving forward, all you need to do is hook this up at home and you’ll never have to worry about needing to go to the store again. Read on and let us help you make your next purchasing decision!
Our Favorite Printers For High Quality Art Prints In 2020
First on our list is this Epson Expression printer. What we like about this is really how versatile and long-lasting the color printer is. When they say all-in-one supertank, they’re not kidding. This is a wireless and wide-format printer, copy machine, scanner, photo printer, and ethernet machine. It includes both paper tray and photo tray so you know it’s built specifically for both, and has the capacity to print documents up to 9,000 pages or thousands of 4” by 6” photos with the ink that’ already included when you buy the printer. These supersized ink tanks are easy-to-fill directly with ink and have printing power equivalent to about 30 ink cartridge sets, and will last you about 2 years before you even need to think about replacing it. Considering how much you’re paying for the printer, having low-cost replacement bottles makes it a lot easier. This printer also prints up to 11” by 17” prints so you can focus both on photo quality and print quality, and is perfect for home use. One reviewer did a comparison of some printers and concluded that “the color copy output was superior to all other all-in-ones tested, and slightly better than the HP7520. It copies and prints full color noticeably faster than the HP7520, and was faster at copying than all other inkjets evaluated. The printing speed was excellent”
- Epson strongly recommends the use of Genuine Epson inks for a quality printing experience. Non Epson inks and inks not formulated for your specific printer may cause damage that is not covered by the Epson warranty.
- Cartridge-free printing — comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box (1).
- Includes enough ink to print documents up to 14,000 pages black/9,000 color (3) — equivalent to about 30 ink cartridge sets (2).
- Save up to 80 percent on ink with low-cost replacement bottles (4) — plus easy-to-fill, supersized ink tanks.
- 5-color inks — for printing high-quality documents and photos up to 11" x 17". Maximum Print Resolution: 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi
Next on our list is also an Epson, the SureColor wireless printer which is perfect for quality prints and photo quality. It has a sleek and minimal design to not only fit into your existing set-up but also enhance the professional quality and feel of your workstation. Because it’s wireless, you can easily print from whatever device you work from, whether it’s a laptop, desktop, tablet, or even your phone. The high-capacity cartridges that this printer uses will last longer so you don’t need to replace the ink as often. The large LCD color touchscreen makes this super easy to navigate and get exactly what you need. You can easily produce accurate A1//D size prints in mere seconds, so whatever your personal art style is, this printer can accommodate. It is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum, so if you’re looking for something that’s more budget friendly then this will not be it. But otherwise, this will be a beautiful addition to your office and complement your art prints tremendously. As one reviewer noted, “I draft and print house plans and building designs daily. I have had this out-sourced in the past, but my schedule demanded me at the office more, so I bought this printer. It has been wonderful. It does a great job and was easy to set up.”
- Breakthrough Print Speeds — produce accurate A1/D-size prints in 31 seconds (1)
- Easy to Operate — large intuitive 4 3" LCD color touchscreen simplifies print tasks
- Compact Clean Design — ultra small footprint (4) and sleek minimal design that enhances your workspace
- Replace Ink Less Often — high-capacity cartridges up to 50 mL color and 80 mL Black
- Print from Virtually Anywhere in the Office — easily print from tablets smartphones and more (3) with integrated wireless plus router-free Wi-Fi Direct printing (2)
It should be no surprise that Epson takes the second spot on our list as well, since they’re such a well-known manufacturer of computer hardware and other accessories. This wide-format inkjet color printer can produce astounding borderless print, ultra high-definition photos up to 13 inches by 19 inches, which is perfect for working on bigger art high quality prints. It utilized 6-color Claria ink to capture everything you rendered on your computer, and you can easily connect your laptop or tablet thanks to the wireless printing. The printer itself includes advanced color and lighting correction for amazing photos and prints, and what comes out of the printer are smudge, scratch, water, and even fade resistant so that the prints last up to four times longer than photo lab prints. As one reviewer raved, “I LOVE IT! The colors are simply magnificent, and it does everything that I require from a photo printer.”
- Borderless, Hi-Def photos up to 13 inch x 19 inch
- Wireless printing with Wi-Fi
- 6-color Claria ink
- CD/DVD printing; Refer user manual under technical specification
- Print and share from your smartphone, iPhone, tablet and other mobile devices — no computer necessary
At the top of our list is this Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer. We love it because of the Canon Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering (FINE) feature, which is a patented print head that enables printing with microscopic droplets and high resolution up to 4800 x 2400 dpi. The printer itself utilizes eight dye-based inks for a wide range of gradient and colors, and also has three dedicated grayscale inks if you want to focus on honing your black and white print-making skills. You can feed in either regular or photo paper of all sizes–as large as 13 inches by 19 inches. This printer also has built in wifi and ethernet connectivity so you have more versatility in how you want your printer to be connected to your set-up. On the photo quality of the prints, one reviewer commented that they “printed my first ever “real” photo on a “real” photo printer. I was (and am) literally in awe. It is the most beautiful home printed photo I have ever seen. I am in love with my Canon PIXMA.!
- 8 Dye based inks for amazing gradients and color, 3 of which are dedicated grayscale inks for beautiful black & white prints
- The Optimum Image Generating System reproduces colors as you intend them by logically selecting the optimum ink combination and placement. Output tray capacity auto sheet feeder: 150 sheets of plain paper; 20 sheets photo paper (4x6); 10 sheets (letter/8x10); 1 sheet (A3+). Manual feeder: 1 sheet of photo paper (all sizes)
- Compatible with individual CLI 42 ink tanks (Black, gray, light gray, cyan, photo cyan, magenta, photo magenta, yellow). Save even more on value packs. Only replace the inks that run out
- 4800 x 2400 dots per inch with fine technology for incredible detail. Print your vision up to 13 inches x 19 inches: Print professional quality photos on various media up to 13 inches x 19 inches
- Weight: 43.2 in bullet point. Number of nozzles: 6,144. Number of nozzles: 768 per color 6144 total