ASMR has really taken off within the past couple of years and now there are endless videos to browse on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok that will give you those tingly, goosebump-y feelings. For those of you who might not be familiar with ASMR, it stands for “autonomous sensory meridian response.”
It is all about the process of relieving the tension in your body or falling asleep at night through an auditory process. You can trigger ASMR by listening to different, gentle sounds that then make you feel like there are relaxing tingles on your scalp, at the back of your head, and even down your neck and spine. The makers of ASMR videos tend to invest in high-quality microphones to capture all the small tapping, scratching, and brushing sounds they’re generating, but in order to truly get all the benefits of ASMR, it’s equally important for you to invest in the right headphones. Using regular earbuds just won’t deliver the audio quality and clarity that the mics were able to pick up. With proper headphones, you’ll be able to channel all the sounds right into your ears to get the vibes that you’re looking for.
If you’re looking for an upgrade from the earbuds that you have right now, take a look below at our picks for the best headphones for ASMR tingles. We’ve compiled our top picks in 2020 so you can just worry about finding the next video to fall asleep to.
Our Favorite ASMR Headphones in 2020
The Creative Aurvana Live headphones are a relative newcomer within the audio industry, but the high-quality design delivers on great sound for all your ASMR listening. Its sound acoustic and neodymium magnet driver technology enables playback of all the small sounds that you’re looking for without distorting any of the audio or volume. The padded, adjustable headband and ear pads are comfortable to wear for long listening sessions, and the lightweight design also makes these extremely portable. While these aren’t designed to cancel out noise, the ear buds are able to isolate the sounds that you’re listening to so that you can still focus on your ASMR. For a relatively low price, these are a great entry into ASMR listening. One review commented on the sound quality with “WOW! I’m… wowed!”
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, Noise-Cancelling, with Alexa voice control, enabled with Bose AR – Read Reviews
Bose is also a huge player in the speaker and audio industries and the QuietComfort is no exception. For those of you who want to be able to tune out the outside world as you’re getting your ASMR tingles, these come with three levels of noise cancellation for an enhanced listening experience in any environment. The quality of the noise cancellation really can’t be beat, especially when you’re trying to focus on the ASMR-specific sounds. Once you’ve tuned out the rest of the world, these deliver superior sound quality and the battery can last up to 20 hours when it’s fully charged. As an added bonus, it contains built-in access to Alexa so you can use voice commands to change music and other audio without any buttons or cords to fumble with. Despite the hefty price tag, these headphones are extremely high quality and worth it if your budget is on the higher end. One reviewer raves that these are “incredibly lightweight and comfortable… ANC is amazing that blocks out all ambient noises.”
- Three levels of world-class noise cancellation for better listening experience in any environment
- Alexa-enabled for voice access to music, information, and more
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system for clear sound and voice pick-up
- Balanced Audio performance at any volume
- Hassle-free Bluetooth pairing, personalized settings, access to future updates, and more through the Bose connect app.Usb cable: 12 inch
While AudioTechnica is a big name in the music production world, its professional grade studio monitor headphones are perfect for ASMR fans who want top-notch audio quality and clarity. Audio engineers and pro audio reviewers have praised the ATH-M50s across a range of industries because it consistently delivers. The listening experience that you get through the ATH-M50x is unparalleled, as it has extended frequency range and deep, accurate bass response. The cushioned headband and ear cups comfortably wrap around your ear and ensure that you can wear these for long hours. It comes in both a wired and wireless style, so that you have flexibility in selecting what works best for you. The only downside of the ATH-M50 is that while it delivers excellent sound quality, it isn’t designed to cancel out any of the noise that might be around you. Nonetheless, this is one of the best headphones out there and would give you all the ASMR tingles you want. One reviewer raves that “these sound absolutely amazing. The bass is clear and punchy. The highs are sharp and piercing but not too shrill. The mids come in clear and vibrant.”
- SleepPhones AcousticSheep Wireless | Bluetooth Headphones for Sleep, Travel, and More | The Original and Most Comfortable Headphones for Sleeping – Read Reviews
The AcousticSheep headphones are the perfect complement to your favorite ASMR videos because it comes with the added bonus of being shaped like a headband. This wireless headphone wraps around your head like a soft, fleece headband so that you can wear it to sleep or on long trips without the slightest feelings of discomfort. The design is sleek and the thin, flat speakers enable you to lie down in any position without anything getting in the way, something that conventional headphones wouldn’t be able to accomplish because of their bulky designs and cords. Once you charge it up, the Bluetooth battery can last for an average of ten hours, so that you can use it reliably for a couple days before needing to charge it up again (the charge time is at about three hours). There is a range of colors for you to choose from, so that this really becomes part of your lifestyle. One reviewer bought it as a gift and says that these are “ASMR approved! My fiance listens to ASMR every single night and got these for him as a gift and he LOVES them!”
- SleepPhones are the first and most comfortable headphones for sleeping and relaxing that have helped more than ONE MILLION people. The ultra-thin, flat speakers are comfortable enough to wear while lying down or sleeping on your side while the module’s built-in volume and play/pause/skip controls easily let you control your Bluetooth-enabled devices. Listen to soft music, white noise, audio books, and whatever else helps you unwind in complete comfort!
- Enjoy Great Range, Top Audio Quality, and a Long Lasting Battery. You’ll love that your SleepPhones Wireless can connect to your Bluetooth enabled devices from 15-30 feet (5-10 meters) away. You’ll also love the speakers’ crystal clear sound quality and being able to listen for hours on end thanks to a rechargeable battery–it lasts up to 10 hours with the included USB cord.
- An Award Winning Product That Comes With a One Year Warranty. SleepPhones have won eight Consumer Electronics Association Innovation Awards, a Red Dot Design Award, and more. These premium headphones are Made in the USA from globally sourced components. We stand by our products and offer a limited one year manufacturer’s warranty. Don’t settle for a cheap imitation when you can have the first, best, and original sleep headphones!
- Natural Sleep Aid Invented By a Doctor. A family physician created SleepPhones because she couldn’t find any comfortable headphones to wear in bed after taking late night patient calls. Today, the invention she and her husband created at their kitchen table has helped more than a million people sleep better without resorting to drugs. (And it even saved a few relationships in which one partner snores!)
- Find Your Perfect Fit. SleepPhones come in S, M, L. Size Medium, M, is the most common size that fits most people. (See our size chart below for more info.) SleepPhones are available in two types of fabric: warm, soft FLEECE fabric and lightweight, moisture wicking BREEZE fabric.