Some of the best exercise that you can get at a gym is on a stationary bike. It’s extremely low impact, for anyone who might have bad knees and ankles, and is really a whole body workout. Even though you might be sitting the whole time, you’d be surprised at the burn that you would get from a biking workout. But sometimes, it’s nice to be outside of the gym as well, and to be able to have the option both to push yourself and also to simply enjoy the act of riding a bicycle. In these cases, it’s helpful to have an electric bike.
What is an electric bike?
An Electric bicycle is exactly what they sound like; they’re normal bicycles that are also powered by electricity so you don’t need to rely solely on your own strength. They’re incredibly useful machines and also very fun; when you have an electric bike, you never need to worry about going up a hill and whether you should hop down and walk your bike instead. The electric bike will simply do the work for you. Keep in mind that you’ll need a battery charger for your e-bike.
You would think that the process of buying an electric bike would be the same as buying a normal bike, but there are a lot more considerations that you have to factor in when you’re making your purchasing decisions. That’s why we’ve gone ahead and put together our 2020 picks for the best electric bike under $1000. With this budget you can be sure that you’ll be getting a model that is reliable, safe, and full of features without breaking the bank. Whether you’re looking for aluminum alloy, carbon steel, a steel frame, we can help you find the electric bicycle of your dreams. Read on and let us help you pick your next electric bike!
Our Favorite Electric Bicycles Under $1000
First on our list is this electric city bike from ECOTRIC. At first glance, it looks like a normal city bike, but upon closer inspection you’ll see that there’s a rear hub motor. It’s a 36V and 350W motor that will give you a high speed of 20 miles per hour. Per charge (which will take between 6-8 hours) you can get between 21-25 miles, depending on how you ride, but since this is a city bike that should be plenty to get you where you need to go and back. You get power through pedal assist and also the on-demand throttle. Now the downside of this bike is really just that it’s built for the city, and so the motor is designed as such. If you’re looking for something that can carry you farther and faster, and maybe with a bigger battery, this might not be the one for you. But otherwise, this is as great as a city e-bike can get. As one reviewer commented, this is a “great ebike for the money and has nice power, more [than] I need. Just what I wanted and good customer service. Would buy again from Ecotric.”
- Fork: 26" ALLOY suspension. Cover tire: 26"*1.95" City Tire. Bike weight: 22.2 kg (48.94 LB). Max Load Capacity: 90Kg(198lbs). Brake: Front V Brake and Rear Mechanical Disc Brake.
- Rear hub 36V 350W motor, providing strong driving force. Max speed: 20 mph (32km/h. Speed limit can be set). Distance per charge: 21-25 miles (electric only). Power: Pedal assist on-demand and throttle. Rear Derailleur: 7 Speed SHIMANO. Display: ECOTRIC Smart LED Display.
- Throttle Type: Variable Speed Control - 1/2 Twist Throttle. Outage braking system and Mechanical braking system, work along both lines, provide security for your trip. Battery lock and power lock function.
- Battery: 36V 10AH Lithium Cell. Charging time: 6-8 hours. Battery life Up To 400-600 Cycles. Display: 36V LED Display, 6KM assist model, 3-speed adjust. One key repair function, plug SM-5Y, 36V dedicated (rated voltage not universal)
- Notice: You will receive TWO packages. The basket is in the 2nd package. To keep the battery alive, our warehouse uses an extension charging cord (batteries need to be charged regularly to keep them alive), the cord is no use for you. If you receive this cord, please ignore it, there is a professional charger in our packages, please use the correct charging equipment to charge.
Next on our list is also an ECOTRIC electric bicycle, but one that’s built for more of an all-purpose terrain. This is an electric bicycle for you to consider if you’re looking for something more sturdy than just a city cruiser. It has a strong 500W brushless rear electric motor that will give you great climbing ability if you’re on rocky terrain or simply going up a hill. The bike will allow you to reach a high speed of 23 miles per hour, and over 19 miles of pure electric power mileage. It comes with both pedal assist and walk assist mode, depending on what you need, and has outage braking and mechanical braking systems that work along both lines for added security. What’s really convenient about this bike is that the lithium battery is removable, so that you can bring the battery to your home or office to recharge instead of needing to plug your whole bike in somewhere. As one reviewer raved, this is “absolutely the best bike I’ve ever owned. I have been having tons of fun on it and fat tires are extremely comfortable, a lot more than I expected.”
This electric bicycle is near the top of our list because of how portable it is. Folding bikes are extremely convenient for when you need to be on the go, and having the added bonus of having an electric folding bike really makes this one pop. It can fold three times so it fits inside your car, on public transportation, and even under your desk at work if you want to keep it out of the way. It comes with either a standard or removable battery for added flexibility, while the height is easily adjustable for adults or teens. You can ride your electric bike on hybrid or full throttle mode and cruise up to 15.5 miles per hour on a single charge by toggling between power assist and pedaling. The 36V battery recharges in between 4-5 hours and features a rubber stopper for the charging port so that your bike is always protected against the elements. As a testament to its versatility, one reviewer commented that “this bike fits my 4ft 7in and 60 pound daughter and my 5ft 11in 180 pound bikers body, and anywhere in between. It felt like a normal bike to me, no compromise in how it feels geometrically as a bike for me. I asked my little daughter the same question and she said the same “no it does not feel funny, it just feels like a normal bike. Just like my other bike.” I have no idea how Swagtron accomplished this versatility but they did.”
- Pre-assembled; the electric bike already comes pre-assembled so you won't have to waste time with complicated assembly and foreign bike parts
- Height adjustable for adults and teens; easily adjust the bicycle seat and handlebar to find the perfect position for a comfortable ride
- 14 inch wheels; a pair of air-filled rubber tires with quick-disconnect power lines ensure better traction and easy tire maintenance
- 15.5 mile range; ride your hybrid bike on full throttle to cruise up to 15.5 miles on a single charge by toggling between power assist and pedaling
- The EB-5’s foldable bike frame can accommodate riders up to 264 pounds and folds three times so it fits inside compact vehicles, under desks, on subways and in other small spaces. Charging Time - 4-5 hrs
Closing out our list is another ECOTRIC bike, but for extremely good reason. This is both a powerful and cost-effective mountain bike that you can use both on tough terrain and just while you’re biking in your neighborhood. It has a 500W rear electric motor and a 36V / 13AH lithium battery and an aluminum alloy frame, this is one high quality ebike. When you have your bike on a full charge and depending on if you’re using pedal assist or throttle power, you can get up to 34 miles of range on this. The maximum vehicle speed is fairly standard, at 20 miles per hour, but you get much longer range with this and never need to worry about whether the battery is going to die on you. It takes approximately 6-8 hours for the battery to fully charge and you can travel a distance of more than 19 miles on pure electric power when you’re on flat ground. We highly recommend getting this bike even if you’re not looking to adventure into the mountains for the sheer versatility and power that this ECOTRIC e-bike offers. One reviewer commended the service as well, saying that “The service is immediate and very patient. The product itself has wonderful quality and exceed my standards! So satisfied with this product, would buy again!.”
- Buy it now and we'll send you an extra gift bag for free!!! Including a bicycle pump, a mobile phone holder, a bicycle lock and a scarf.Now you are looking at a powerful and cost-effective mountain e-bike with 500W rear motor and 36V/13AH lithium battery. Its shock absorption equipment and mountain tires allow your unimpeded ride on rough roads. Full charge ride endurance: 30-54 KM ( 18.64-33.55 Mile) , the range depends on whether you use pedal assist power more or throttle power more.
- Brushless gear rear 500W Motor. Maximum vehicle speed: 32KM/H (20 mph/h) (Rider weight<260LBS ,flat road and full power). 36V/13AH Removable Lithium Battery, so you can bring the battery to your home or office to recharge. Charging time: Approximately 6-8 hours. You can travel a distance of more than 18.6 miles under electric power on Flat ground.
- 26 "ALLOY Frame. Head tube Ø50*Ø50*150L. The middle heterotypic pipe Ø27.4*2.2T*490L, reaming Ø 27.4; Standard disc brake seat. Front fork: adjustable hydraulic disc brake suspension fork, aluminum shoulder/aluminum leg,Ф28.6*Ф25.4*210L. Cover tyre: 26*2.35” mountain tire, inner tire: 26*2.125”.
- Display: 36V LCD Display, 6KM assist model, 5-speed display, W/ φ31.8 display support, one key repair function, plug SM-5Y, 36V dedicated (rated voltage not universal)
- Controller 36V/22A brushless, brake handle low level power off, enhance MOS tube, power in five gear (power PWM and current classifying 35%, 45%, 55%, 75%, 100%) power. Pedal Assist model: pedal 180 degree motor start to work.The display can set wheel diameter, can set speed limit, and there is a key repair function.